Just what you wanted–a quiz to start off the new year. (Just joking). But take the quiz anyway. Even stroke survivors may not get them all right, but I hope they do.
For all the people who didn’t have a stroke, I’m providing this quiz not to scare you but rather to educate you and make you more aware of strokes and their effects. Did I succeed? Well, you tell me! Write the letter of the correct response for all 10, if you can. The answers are at the bottom of this post. Here goes:
1. The first one is easy. What happens to a majority of people when they get a stroke?
a. The mouth droops.
b. The words are slurred.
c. The person has trouble walking.
d. The person is confused.
e. All of the above.
2. What happens to the tongue initially when somebody has a stroke in a majority of the cases?
a. It recedes.
b. It gets longer.
c. It goes crooked when the person sticks it out.
d. It locks in place.
e. It vibrates.
3. Someone in the United States has a stroke every
a. 45 seconds.
b. 2 weeks.
c. 3 days.
d. 2 minutes.
4. A stroke occurs
a. when a clot blocks the blood supply to the brain.
b. when a blood vessel in the brain bursts.
c. randomly without cause.
d. only when people reach the age of 65 or older.
e. with either a and b.
5. Some risk factors of getting a stroke are
d. just a and b.
e. a, b, and c.
6. Ethnicity plays a role in stroke attacks in that
a. African Americans have double the stroke rates of Caucasians in the U.S.
b. Caucasians have double the stroke rates of African Americans in the U.S.
c. Asians have double the stroke rates of African Americans in the U.S.
d. African Americans have half the stroke rates of Caucasians in the U.S.
e. Asians, African Americans, and Caucasians and in a 3-way tie for stroke
in the U.S.
7. Strokes are more likely to happen to
a. low-stress workers and poor education level.
b. high-stress workers and high education level.
c. high-stress workers and poor education level.
d. low-stress workers and high education level.
8. Every year, how many people have strokes worldwide?
a. 2 million
c. 5 million
e. 15 million
9. According to a prominent study, what percent of the people who recover from their first stroke will have another stroke within 5 years?
a. 10 percent
b. 25 percent
c. 75 percent
d. 90 percent
e. 100 percent
10. A stroke occurs when the blood supply to part of the brain is suddenly interrupted by a clot (ischemic stroke) or when a blood vessel in the brain bursts, spilling blood into the spaces surrounding brain cells (hemorrhagic stroke). According to these facts, the brain cells
a. die and cannot be regenerated according to all studies.
b. live regardless of the kind of stroke.
c. are in an ongoing study at the Cleveland Clinic to determine whether they can be
stimulated and improved.
d. live or die, depending on your gender.
e. live or die, depending on your age.
How did you do? Tell me in the Comments section under this post if you have time.
Answers: 1. e, 2. c, 3. a, 4. e, 5. e, 6. a, 7. c, 8. e, 9. b, 10. c
And God bless you, Ramon.
oc1dean, look under clinicaltrials.gov and you will find it!
Wow I got 8 out of ten. Interesting as I have been researching and trying everything hoping that I can recover completely after suffering two strokes. First in 2007 and second in 2012. Happy New Year! Miracles happen everyday. God bless you.
Did 100% until number 10, hadn't heard of that particular study.
Hi, Becki. I believe if people are honest with the results of the quiz, they will score as I predicted. Have a healthy and peaceful year!
Hi Joyce, I took your quiz. I got 3 of the questions wrong out of ten. I better study up, LOL. I got number 3, 7 and 8 wrong. Didn't realize that people worldwide are having strokes every 45 seconds. Wow that's a lot. Thanks for the quiz, it was very detailed and educational. Hope all is well with you, and Happy New Year. B